Sustainable Dreams

How to grow strawberries from seed

Strawberries are a perennial plant that will produce fruit year after year after the first year of growth. I wont get any fruit this year, but the growing process is no less important to bring up healthy plants. Below, I have included step by step instructions for starting your strawberries from seeds.

10 Strawberry Recipes You Will Love

Ive discussed my wishes for a self sustaining perennial garden in previous posts. Although it may take me a few years to achieve, I am slowly growing my options. It is very important that before I go too far, I must learn about each edible I grow for an acceptable success.






 When I purchased my seeds online from various companies via Amazon, it was later than I hoped for, and I wasn't ready when it was time to plant, but I managed to scrape enough resource with little cash as I could to get some seedlings started. Unfortunately, my strawberry seeds were last to arrive, so I am just now beginning to seed them into pots that I will leave outside in the sun since Spring has sprung :)

Step 1



Some strawberry seeds need to be cold treated prior to germination, so make sure to check the specific requirements for the type of strawberries you grow, before you plant them indoors.


If necessary, cold treat your seeds by wrapping them in plastic and freezing them for a minimum of 2 weeks, but try to give them 30 days.


After freezing, transfer your seeds to the refridgerator for 4 days to a week. then move them again to a cool but slightly warmer place for a few more days until they reach room temperature.


Pay close attention to the variety you use as well as whether or not the nursary may have already cold treated them. Skip this step if they have already been cold treated.

Step 2

Using soiless planting medium such as Kempf Compressed Coco Fiber Growing Potting Mix 11-Pound Block, Medium, and seed trays such as 720 Cells Seedling Starter Trays for Seed Germination +5 Plant Labels (120, 6-cell Trays)

Fill seed trays 3/4 full with soiless planting medium.


Step 3

Spread 3-4 seeds over the top of the growing medium of each cell or container. Cover with a thin layer of growing medium and water.

Cover the trays with plastic after they are seeded and watered.

Step 4 

Keep seeded trays in direct sunlight or use grow lights. 

Turn the plastic regularly to avoid too much condensation build up, but be sure to keep the growth medium moist at all times.

I use a spray bottle to wet the surface of seedlings so as to not over water.

Step 5

Once the second set of true leaves comes in, sort the weak plants out and transplant the stronger, healthy plants into bigger containers using good potting soil such as Espoma AP2 Organic Potting Mix, 2 Cubic Feet

You may also plant them in your garden at this stage as long as all danger of frost is over.